Pts’aan (Totem Pole)

Pts’aan (Totem Pole)

Every pts’aan is a list of ayukws (crests). Nisg-a’a raise
pts’aan to tell about the history our families and property. Traditionally, when a chief raised a pts’aan, he hosted a feast and told his adaawak (history). This pts’aan is N’ii-t’aahl X-sgaak Lax-hayax-gum G-an (Eagle on the Decayed Pole).
Chief: Tx-as-diyee
Tribe: Lax-sgiik (Eagle)
Clan: Lax-luuks
House: G-ook-
Carver: Tx-aa-kw’ihleen
Height: 50 feet, 3 inches
Year: circa 1870
Crest figures from top to bottom:
Pair of small Eagles known as Eagle on the Decayed Pole
Eagle head
Ghost of the Otter
Person called Luu-siskeex-sim
White Marten
Half Black Bodies (several represented)
Eagle Person.

Traveling downriver past Gitlax-t’aamiks, the pole called “Eagle on the Decayed Pole” stood twenty-third in line along the riverfront. This pole was originally purchased by Canadian National Railways, who re-erected it at CN Park in Prince Rupert (approx. 1928). CN Railways sold it to the Royal BC Museum in 1963, and it was on display until the museum underwent renovations in 1996. The pole has been repatriated to the Nisg-a’a Nation through the Nisg-a’a Final Agreement, and now proudly stands inside Hli G-oothl Wilp-Adok-shl Nisg-a’a, the Nisg-a’a Museum.